NHS Careers > Explore by career > Nursing > Training to be a nurse > Financial support for pre-registration nursing students
Financial support for pre-registration nursing students
All students on university courses in nursing leading to registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council are eligible for financial help from the NHS while studying.
All eligible students will usually:
- have their tution fees paid in full
- receive a £1,000 grant each year
- be eligible to apply for an additional means-tested bursary of up to £4,395 per year. Students in London will qualify for more (up to £5,460)
Note: the above arrangements relate to students who started their course since September 2012.
Find out if the course you are applying to is an approved and attracts NHS financial support. All universities offering approved courses can be found on our course finder.
The NHS Student Bursaries also has information and support:
- eligibility requirements
- the financial support available
- an online bursary calculator
- how the process of applying for financial support works
- frequently asked questions
- the latest rates
- details of the adoption award
- details of the maternity support award.