NHS Careers > Explore by career > Wider healthcare team > Careers in the wider healthcare team > Domestic services > Catering manager

Catering manager

Assistant catering managers and catering supervisors are usually responsible for the day-to-day provision of food and beverage services to staff and patients. They will supervise catering staff and ensure that there is sufficient staff and supplies to meet the days requirements.

Catering managers are responsible for the running of a catering organisation or service. They have to ensure a high quality of service and food provision. The catering manager will be responsible for recruitment, training and staff development. They have to be aware of health and safety and hygiene regulations. The catering manager may not have much direct contact with customers but will have to deal with complaints when they arise. A certain amount of paperwork will be involved in terms of rotas, planning, controlling budgets, and ordering stock and recruitment.

Entry requirements and training

Some catering/assistant catering managers start as catering assistants, chef/cooks, or kitchen assistants and work their way up.

A Catering and Hospitality GNVQ/SGA or NVQ/SVQ or other qualification gained from a one or two year full-time college course can provide a good grounding and be an advantage.

Assistant catering managers usually need associate membership of the Institute of Hospitality. The Institute's Advanced Certificate is designed for supervisors and first line managers who aspire to more senior levels of hospitality management. It incorporates the broadening skills of the hospitality industry; the breadth of coverage of the programme provides the necessary knowledge for a career in any sector of the industry. The programme has been designed to provide a framework for Continuing Professional Development (CPD).

The Institute of Hospitality approves a number of centres across the UK to provide the certificate. Contact the Institute for further details.

Catering managers usually need a degree, a higher national diploma (HND)/BTEC/EDEXCEL or an equivalent Institute of Hospitality qualification. Food hygiene is increasingly required, sometimes up to Institute of Environmental Health Officers (IEHO) Advanced level.

There are hundreds of degree and HND courses in hospitality-related subjects. Details of these can be found on the UCAS website.

Contact the Institute of Hospitality for further information on membership and qualifications.

Alternatively, catering managers may have studied within the Hotel Services Development Programme.

Job vacancies

The exact requirements for each job will vary, and so you should check details of job descriptions and person specifications for each vacancy on the NHS Jobs website.

Further information

Edexcel Foundation (incorporating BTEC)
190 High Holborn

Tel: 0844 576 0026

Website: http://www.edexcel.com

Institute of Hospitality
Trinity Court
34 West Street
Tel: +44 (0)20 8661 4900
Fax: +44 (0)20 8661 4901
Website: http://www.instituteofhospitality.org/

Institute of Environmental Health Officers (IEHO)
Chartered Institute of Environmental Health,
Chadwick Court
15 Hatfields
London SE1 8DJ
United Kingdom
Tel: 020 7928 6006
Fax: 020 7827 5866
Email: info@cieh.org
Website: http://www.cieh.org

The Hospital Caterers Association has as its aims and objectives, the promotion and improvement of the standards of catering in hospitals and healthcare establishments in Great Britain, Northern Ireland and elsewhere; the education and training of persons in health care catering services, and the provision and improvement of the professional interests and status of those engaged in health care catering services. Hospital Caterer (the official journal of the Hospital Caterers Association) (Lansdowne Publishing Partnership Limited) Website.