NHS Careers > Explore by who you are > International healthcare professionals > Information for overseas midwives

Information for overseas midwives

Anyone wanting to work in the UK as a midwife must register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). However this does not provide the right to work in the UK. To be accepted for registration applicants must have successfully completed an approved programme of midwifery education and must also meet the NMC requirements of good health and good character. The registration requirements for midwives are different depending on where the applicant qualified. 

Information about this can be found on the NMC website. Registration with the NMC does not guarantee that you will find employment within the UK.

Non-European Economic Area nationals

If you are not a UK/EEA national, you will need to meet the requirements of the UK Visas and Immigration Agency to gain the right to enter and work in UK.

The NMC sets requirements and standards for midwives from outside of the UK and EEA. These must be met by any midwife whose initial training was not within the EU or UK and wishes to apply to join the NMC register. Visit the NMC website for a full list criteria to join the register

Process for midwives trained from outside the EEA

Since October 2014, individuals who trained outside of the UK or EEA and meet all the minimum requirements set by the NMC, need to successfully complete a 2-part application process.

  1. Part one – a computer based multiple-choice examination which will be accessible in many countries around the world for applicants to access in their home countries.
  1. Part two – a practical objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) which will always be held in the UK.

This process does not require applicants to complete a period of supervised practice.

For further information about the application process and the new test of competence please visit the NMC website

All applicants must have successfully completed this 2-part process before the NMC will consider placing them on the Midwives Register.

European Economic Area nationals

The NMC will compare the training you received in your country, with that required in the UK. Where there are significant differences between the two, the NMC will detail these and you may be invited to make up the differences through a period of adaptation.

Midwives who received their training outside the EEA and have not been registered and practised in another EU member state for three years, will need to apply through the overseas route. This applies equally to overseas trained midwives who hold EU nationality or EC Treaty Rights.

Take a look at our FAQs for overseas midwives.